Filing a claim

Call your insurance agent or company as soon as possible to report property damage.

For company phone numbers, use the Texas  Department of Insurance's Company Lookup or call them at 800-252-3439.

  • Keep a record of everyone you talked to with your company.
  • Be ready to answer questions about the damage.
  • Ask about an advance payment if you need help quickly.
  • Ask about living expenses. Most policies will cover some of the costs you have if you are unable to live in your home because of damage that is covered by your insurance. Keep your receipts for these costs.
  • If you need shelter or emergency food or water, contact the Red Cross at 800-733-2767.


Repairing your home

  • Make sure your adjuster and company have your current phone number.
  • Make sure your address is visible from the street. You may need to post a sign with your address in the yard.
  • Try to be there when the adjuster visits and point out all damage.
  • Get multiple bids from contractors and compare them with the adjuster’s report before settling the claim.
  • Know the signs of a contracting scam and how to avoid them.
  • Save proof that you paid the deductible on the claim. A state law makes it illegal for contractors or roofers to offer to waive a deductible or to promise a rebate for your deductible. It also allows insurance companies to request proof, such a receipt or canceled check, that you paid the deductible.


Resources and key contacts

Information from direct source of Texas Department of Insurance:

Previous page: What GAF Certified Means Next page: Contact